Tuesday 28. February 2017

History of the facility

How the castle was transformed by the Owners

The beginning in the middle ages ...
The fishing village of Tutzing was first mentioned in a chronicle of the monastery of Benediktbeuren in the 11th century. In this chronicle a place called "Dutcingun" was mentioned in connection with donations to the monastery. The castle comprised a farm, a mill and six half farms in those days.


The lords of the castle: Dichtl and von Götzengrin ...
Around the year 1480 the Munich patrician family called Dichtl purchased the village of Tutzing. In 1519 Bernhard Dichtl, the senior, obtained jurisdiction of the county and was thus entitled to raise taxes from his people and to enforce law and order. The county existed for more than three centuries until the year of the revolution 1848 and was ruled by its authorities living in the castle.


Castle Tutzing 1701

During the 30-Year-War ...
During the 30-Year-War the county of Tutzing was invaded by Swedish and Spanish troops and the castle of Tutzing was burnt down. In 1650 it was bankrupt and auctioned. The copper plate, dated 1701, by Michael Wening shows the rebuilding of the castle under its new owner, Maximilian Ernst von Götzengrien, a nobleman who died in 1707, at the end of the 17th century. The main house was extended by an additional building to the west.


Count Karl Matthias Graf von Vieregg

The era of the Viereggs ...
The Bavarian Foreign Minister: Karl Matthäus Graf von Vieregg (1719-1802), a count who derived from an old Mecklenburg noble family, whose catholic ancestors had fled from the reformation to Bavaria. In 1802 he bequeathed the county of Tutzing to his son Friedrich Graf von Vieregg (1752 to 1843), who generously redesigned the castle of Tutzing during the years 1802 to 1816. The old castle obtained side wings in the east and the west. Moreover the garden menagerie (today music hall) and the cavaliers'building (today office and administration building) with the front courtyard were added. The park was transformed into an English garden.


Castle and Park - Southern flair was given to the property by Eduard Hallberger in 1878. The publisher ordered the building of a lake terrace and the pergola of columns by the shore in 1878. Palm trees, cherubs, vases and fountains added an interesting variety to the newly designed park. Coloured engraving by Julius Lange (1874)

The Hallberger period ...
The ingenious publisher Eduard von Hallberger (1822.- 1880), deriving from an old Swabian-Franconian line of priests, was owner of the Tutzing castle from 1869 to 1880. The founder of the Deutsche Verlagsanstalt publishing company, Stuttgart rebuilt this property and turned it into a luxurious meeting facility for the world of literature and upper class society.


Marczell von Nemess

Tutzing castle - a place of arts...
The heirs of Eduard Hallberger were not able to keep the property. Therefore it was sold in the year 1921. Marczell von Nemes, son of a Jewish choirmaster and with Hungarian roots, bought the Tutzing castle and park to have a location in order to present his extensive collection of art pieces originating from various parts of Europe to an interested public. Nemes is considered to have rediscovered El Greco which is why he became well-known in the history of art. Most pieces attracting the attention of art enthusiasts in the castle and park found their places here during the Nemes era. Marczell of Nemes died in 1930.

During the period of the Third Reich the castle was property of the Hackelsberger family. A memorial plaque reminds of the industrial and catholic politician Albert Hackelsberger in the inner court yard. He lost his life in a prison of the German Gestapo in 1940.


The Evangelische Akademie Tutzing
In the 1940ies Tutzing castle was owned by the Kaselowsky family and Rudolf Oetker, who was a baking powder producer from Bielefeld. However, the two owners soon left it to the Innere Mission (i.e. a German charity organisation) as a recovery facility for soldiers who had returned from war until bishop Hans Meiser purchased the property for the Protestant-Lutheran church in Bavaria in 1947. Since then the traditional castle of Tutzing has served as a conference location to the Evangelische Akademie Tutzing.

Preview:

Kanzelrede - mit Simone Fleischmann
12. März 2017

Kirche öffnet sich der Welt! Kanzelreden finden ihre Themen in jeder ernsthaften Auseinandersetzung mit dem geistigen, politischen, sozialen und kulturellen Leben.
>

Krise der Parteiendemokratie?
Krise der Volksparteien?
24. - 26. März 2017

Der Club ist ein Seismograph für gesamtgesellschaftliche Debatten. In Zeiten radikaler Umbrüche gibt er Impulse für weitsichtige politische Strategien.
Frühjahrstagung des Politischen Clubs - Es ist nur noch die reine Vortragsteilnahme möglich!
>